[Sca-cooks] gazpacho

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 08:26:44 PDT 2003

Also sprach Ana Valdés:
>The most interesting research I read about the gazpacho was carried
>out in Apicius, the list about Rome food. It was some scholar who
>had made a research about in how many countries the gazpacho or its
>varieties was eaten. The scholar made an interesting discovery, the
>list of countries was the same list of countries under Rome rule or
>where the legions were around.
>Selon his thesis the gazpacho was at the beginning the cold food the
>legionaries ate when they marched. Since their main strenght was
>their mobility they seldom stopped to eat and rest and ate in the
>move a colc mixture of garlic, water and cucumber. (The tomato was
>unknown then.)
>Interesting, but if the supposition is correct, what about England?
>Is gazpacho or a variation of it eaten in Britain?

It is believed that the word "gazpacho" is derived from Arabic roots
meaning, "moistened bread". Most Spanish versions do include some
bread, as well as other necessities, those being garlic and olive
oil. The tomato, cucumber, capsicums, and other common additives are
nice additives but still additives to what would otherwise already be
recognizable gazpacho, even without them.

I suspect that it's a coincidence of politics and geography that the
Romans conquered most of what was later conquered by the Moors, but
there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for anyone, let alone the
Romans, eating a recognizable gazpacho variant in several other
Roman-conquered areas, does there?

Now, there are similar dishes, involving, or often involving, soaked
bread, all around the Mediterranean basin, mostly sauces: skordalia
from Greece, rouille from Marseille, taramasalata, again from Greece,
various Turkish and Slavic variants whose names I can't conjure up
now; all of these places grew/grow wheat and used it for bread, and
it's logical to assume a common need to use up leftover, stale bread.

Given that these dishes seem to appear in parts of the Middle East
that the Romans never conquered, I'd be more inclined to look for a
Moorish influence. Especially since the Roman legionaries' marching
rations, and their ways with foraged food, seem to be pretty well
documented.

Adamantius