[Sca-cooks] Check your machines everyone!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Aug 20 00:15:46 PDT 2003

At 11:55 PM 8/19/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Lainie, I am afraid you have been hit with the
>SoBig F virus and it is going through your e-mail
>addresses and sending the virus out to others.
>
>Adamantius, I just got a message from you with an
>attachment that was infected with the virus.  I
>have deleted it.  Please do a virus check!
>
>Huette

Not quite, Huette. The tech boys down at EFN say that the SoBig harvests
our addresses from other machines, and sends out forged e-mails. The virus
has likely been nowhere near my machine or yours. They reassured me that
none of the bounce notices I sent them corresponds to activity on my account.

It did not come from my machine. For all that, it did not come from
Adamantius' machine, which is a Mac and doesn't do that sort of nasty
thing. Who ever it _did_ come from has my address in their machine however.
And Adamantius', and Cindy Renfrow's, and Nanna's, and several others.

If only they would hit something that deserves it, like John Ashcroft's
computer, or Enron, or Voldemort...

'Lainie