[Sca-cooks] Mustards not computer stuff

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 20 06:00:24 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Hi guys, can we talk about period cooking?
>
> What's your favorite mustard recipe?
>
> -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

I agree. So far, although I've never found a mustard that I didn't like to
some extent (although the ubiquitous honey mustards come close), my favorite
period mustard is the version of the pear mustard that I cobbled together
for the Tavern feast. In fact, I liked it so well, that I intend to play
with the concept a bit, using various other fruits as they come into season
for the base- peaches, apples, whatever else I can find, both as preserves
and by  parboiling and smooshing them.

It's not that I utterly dislike sweets (or salt, for that matter), but
rather that I dislike their constant overuse in modern cooking, thus I tend
to find honey mustard offensive. With the pear mustard, and my intended
variants, I'm finding that the natural sweetness of the fruits is
refreshing, with the hotness of the mustard. I suspect, on the ones I'll be
trying with commercial preserves, that I'll find them too sweet, and thus
wind up making my own preserves as a base for the mustard, but I consider
the concept of fruit mustards well worth exploring, as I have some of the
other "unusual" spicing combinations from the Medieval corpus.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.