[Sca-cooks] Mustards/Responses to Phlip's, Jadwiga's, and Helewyse's posts

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Wed Aug 20 09:09:02 PDT 2003

Phlip,
is your pear mustard posted somewhere I could find it and try it out?  I
have experienced some of the mustards that were very sweet--- on the order
of mustard flavored honey.  But I think a lot of people like this version
too as they seem to sell well modernly.

Your thoughts did lead me to think though about other things that would add
sweetness and flavor without being overly sweet.  One thing that occured to
me would be beets.  I haven't looked though to see whether white and yellow
beets are period as well as red.  And while I think beet mustard flavor
could be really good, I am not sure how the color would come out with red
ones--beet red or a funny color of orangey yellow.  A red one might or might
not be visually appetizing in combination with meat (or it might make for
one of those heart stopping soltilties).

Jadwiga,
I think the dried fruit would be good too, as it would concentrate the
sweetness and keep the mustard from being watery.

Combining a prune sauce and a mustard sounds like a good combo.  I looked in
the Florilegium for prune sauce, but didn't turn it up.  And I tried a few
other google searches as well.  Is it under an old language spelling?

Those grape and raisin ones sound tasty.  Do you find that white or red
wine/verjuice is best from those ones in Platina.  The spice-raisin balls
seem like a good food for travelers or campers as it would be easy to just
get out the number of little spice balls that you needed from your container
and would require minimal preparation at that point.  It occurred to me that
this preparation is like jerky-for-spices.

Did you teach your mustard class again this year at Pennsic?  If so what
were people's favorites?

Helewyse,
I had wondered if an apple butter type mustard would be tasty, and this
looks like a good one to try.  When you have oz-ounce in the bottom recipe
are you measuring by weight?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net