[Sca-cooks] Quinces

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 20 12:13:56 PDT 2003

Eirene, the quinces should be hard. They are a fruit that is only
eaten after having been cooked.

If they are ripe, they should have yellow skin and have an wonderful fragrance.

I have made period quince-lemon syrup from scratch for a feast -
Limon-safarjali - and i have used quinces in a dish from the
Anonymous Andalusian cookbook - Recipe for a Dish of Chicken or
Partridge with Quince or Apple - i used chicken and quinces. I made
it with apples once, but they lack the necessary "character"- the
dish was good, but with quinces it's much better. I have also made a
very different chicken and quince dish from Guter Spiese.

I bought a case of them to make the syrup for a feast in late
November, then used the remaining quinces for a feast in early
December. I kept them in their box in a cool place - an enclosed
sleeping porch - a turn of the century (19 to 20) California
phenomenon - for the intervening 2 or 3 weeks and only one or two
were less than perfect.

Anahita