[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the foodmerchantsatPennsic

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Thu Aug 21 09:43:47 PDT 2003

> > dark hair and a beard who over the years could never seem to bother to
be
> > polite to anyone and whose favorite litany was first "PAPERS LET ME SEE
YOUR
> > PAPERS" then later "MEDALLION LET ME SEE YOUR MEDALLION" as he got right
up
> > in people's faces like some nasty East German border guard at "Check
Point
> > Cooper".

Was written:

> That sort of thing has never happened to me with any Cooper staff or any
> official event staff, including security.

Well it happened to me dressed in full kit behind a tripod the size of the
Eiffel Tower with two medium format cameras on it trying to set up a series
of shots with a dozen or so armored people just off the field.   Of course I
do not remember seeing him with any one else.  Perhaps he slipped his lease
on the occasions I saw him and went rogue. :-)

Was further written:

> But it's sure happened more than once to mewith Generic Drunk Scadians or
> and Generic Stupid Event Attendees who thought it would be damn funny.

In reply:

That is on the plus side for the Coopers... Pennsic does tend to attract
rowdies.  I'm not saying that we are all easy to deal with and we are, I
suspect, well out of the mainstream.  I just found the Coopers and their
minions and Mr. Black Beard in particular relatively lacking in civility yet
conversely relatively abundant in arrogance.  The attitude seemed to be
something like the bumper sticker that one sees occasionally in South
Florida, "If it's Tourist Season Why Can't We Shoot Them", i.e.,

we like their money so...

we must put up with them...

but we don't have to like them...

or be polite.