[Sca-cooks] OOP semi-OT Physiology of Atkins (was Re: Coconut Oil)

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 10:39:56 PDT 2003

Randy Goldberg MD wrote:
> Okay, basic biochemistry and physiology time.

Normally, I wouldn't argue with an MD on biochemistry, but...

> Saturated fat is BAD. Your body turns saturated fats into cholesterol.

Not always.  Available research now suggests that there are significant
differences in the effect on serum cholesterol among saturated fats
depending on whether the fats involved contain short chain, medium chain, or
long chain triglycerides.  Here's a few recent cites:

Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002 Aug;66(8):1713-8 and J Nutr Sci Vitaminol
(Tokyo). 2002 Apr;48(2):109-14. are both directly on point.

J Nutr. 2003 Jun;133(6):1815-20. is a recent study showing that oils rich in
MCT may lower serum cholesterol more than olive oil.

J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 Jun;103(6):707-12.  measures the effects of an
Atkins-like diet on cholesterol and weight in kids.

Saturated fats may not be on the list of great health foods, but it's
certainly not fair to say they're all evil, period, end of discussion.

>> From a biochemical and physiological standpoint, hydrogenated fats
>> are no different than naturally saturated fats.

Not true.  There are quite a few differences in the metabolism of
hydrogenated fats versus other saturated fats.  Hydrogenation creates
isometric fatty acids which differ greatly from most naturally occurring
fats.  See Eur J Nutr. 2003 Aug;42(4):188-94, J Nutr. 2001
Feb;131(2):242-5.,  and Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2002;11 Suppl 7:S408-15 for
cites.

-Lorenz, big fan of MEDLINE/PubMed