[Sca-cooks] Keeping cheesecake

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Fri Aug 22 19:20:20 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 09:30 PM, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus
Adamantius wrote:

> Hmmm. I'm sure this is the perfect moment for 87 people to all chime
> in, "Ah, but you haven't tried _MY_ cheesecake!!! It's
> triple-chocolate macadamia fudge pumpkin Chambourd cheesecake, and the
> cheese is utterly indistinguishable from the other ingredients!!!"
>
> That said, somewhere I have a recipe (like, say, in the Larousse
> Gastronomique) for something called torteau au fromage (which,
> interestingly enough, is French for cheesecake). It's kind of a mousse
> of chevre or fresh goat's milk curd cheese, which, when sweetened,
> does a remarkable impersonation of a lemon-flavored cheesecake, but
> with a drier, puffier texture almost like a pound cake. The sugars in
> the goat cheese caramelize in the oven, leaving a snow-white interior
> and a browned top that's almost dark-chocolate brown. Amazing stuff.
> As I recall it's a Provencale thang; I can post the recipe if anybody
> wants, at some point this weekend.
>
> Although I respect Doc's God-given right not to like cheesecake (the
> goof).

Yup, and every time I've tried the "this one is different" cheesecake I
wished I hadn't.  I've come to the conclusion that it's the very taste
that identifies it as cheesecake that I dislike.  *shrug*  Whatever it
is, it seems one of my children has inherited the trait.

On the flip side, my other child has inherited my love of "stinky
foods".  It's rather wild to see a two year old stuffing down foods
like stilton and paté.

- Doc