[Sca-cooks] SCA media relations

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 08:55:29 PDT 2003

--- jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> Respectable members of the press would have
> contacted either Pennsic or
> Coopers Lake, beforehand or at the gate. They
> would be escorted by a media
> liason. That's the rule. A member of the press
> wandering around loose is
> already breaking the rules. They've already
> displayed contempt and
> disrespect for our setup.
>
> -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

Jadwiga,

Having been an "Avant Courier", which in Caid
means the Media Liaison, I can tell you that what
you have written is not what most reporters want.
They don't want to be escorted.  They don't want
to have already established interviews.  They
want to "experience the event" on their own and
find their own interviews and put their own twist
on us, despite however much we protest or
establish rules and such.  There will be a few
who will do as we ask, but most want to be
"investigative" reporters, which means that they
will do whatever they please, whenever they
please and feel that rules don't apply to them.
We can only hope and pray that they will write a
positive story about us.  The more hostility,
negativity and rules that you throw at them, the
worse the story they write will be.  And believe
me when I say, unlike the movie industry, for us,
any publicity is not necessarily good publicity.
We can't control the Press and they don't want to
be controlled.  I have been there, tried that and
failed miserably [to control them, that is].

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.