[Sca-cooks] SCA media relations

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Aug 24 09:37:53 PDT 2003

> Have there in fact been bad stories about us?  I've seen a number of
> good ones in the last few years - in our local papers as well as
> national venues like Games Magazine.  Personally, I've never seen a bad
> one (though I do not doubt they could exist.)  If these reporters, rogue
> or otherwise, are generally saying good things (even if they're not 100%
> accurate,) why are we so worked up about them?  Just because they refuse
> to let us tell them exactly what they must write?

No, because there are a significant number of them who do stupid things
that could lose us our sites, our insurance, etc. Remember the idiot
'press photographer' who walked repeatedly into the lists at the Celtic
Classic demo? (Local reference. We called the festival organizers, who
also had the 'press must be approved' policy-- it's not unusual-- and who
looked out to be sure he was not allowed near us in future.)

I, personally, have had so much trouble with non-SCA 'professional
photographers' who weren't willing to listen to the rules (unlike the
local press that were willing to have an escort) that for the A&S event
I'm running next year, there will be photography liasons to ensure that
photographers do not interfere with other people's enjoyment of the event
and use of the facilities. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"This heavenly city, then, while it sojourns on earth, calls citizens
out of all nations, and gathers together a society of pilgrims of all
languages, not scrupling about diversities in manners, laws, and
institutions whereby earthly peace is secured and maintained, but
recognizing that, however various these are, they all tend to one and
the same end of earthly peace." -- St.  Augustine of Hippo