[Sca-cooks] SCA media relations

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 24 21:02:54 PDT 2003

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>I have heard of two.  Not because of a reporter
>going to an event and dissing us, but because of
>the actions of others, one of whom happened to be
>
>a member of the SCA.
>
>1) Some years back, Duke Aonghais dubh MacTarbh,
>hereafter known as Duck Fungus, committed a
>murder for hire, killing a woman and her baby.
>During his trial, IIRC, his lawyer tried to blame
>his violent behavior on the SCA. [His Grease's
>heritage is Sicilian.] This was written about in
>the Florida papers.  I would consider this very
>bad press.

Speak softly and gently about this matter.  His teenage daughter is now
an active participant in our kingdom.  I'm not worried about Aonghais'
feelings, but Eleri's.  She knows her father's whereabouts and why he is
there, but she is still a young flower and this paragraph would hurt her
to no good end.   Let his legacy of good qualities - intelligence, looks
and charisma -- live on in our girl in peace.

Besides, the police did a right scholarly study of the SCA and
questioned many members to decide that the blame lay not with the SCA at
all.  The paperback book about the crime and the man who did 9 years of
time before they found him to be "The Wrong Man" scarcely touched on the
SCA at all.  The "Unsolved Mysteries" piece about this murder case never
even mentioned the SCA, if memory serves.  We may still have the tape
somewhere around here.  In a box.

Sincerely,
Selene C.