[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Blood Drive

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 21:52:47 PDT 2003

Saint Phlip commented:
> and of course, the ubiquitous gatorade, orange juice and dry cookies
> for
> the peopel who dont want the nifty new stuff...
>
> And that makes a good start. The last paragraph could easily be
> supplied by
> the Red Cross- they normally provide that sort of thing anyway- it's in
> their budget, so I don't think we'd need to worry about that.
Yes, I agree with this. There is no need to supply this as well.
> Iron rich foods include organ meats, particularly liver, red meat
> itself,
> green leafy vegetables, including kale as well as spinach, most of the
> beans, nuts, dried fruits, and enriched grains, including rice, if it
> isn't
> washed prior to cooking.
Why do you say rice if it isn't washed before cooking. The outside
starch or coating is what contains the extra iron? If so, doesn't
boiling the rice in preperation, whether previously wash or not get rid
of this extra nutrition anyway?
> Also (she says with a sly grin) the church where we did the donations
> has a
> small kitchen, with lots of coffee pots, a range, and a refrigerator. I
> suspect, that if we cleaned up very carefully, we might get permission
> use some of those facilities from the pastor.
Huh? Was this onsite at Pennsic or offsite? I thought the blood drive
was done onsite. If it was onsite, where was it?
> In fact, I can easily see
> modifying the facilities as they were used for this year's blood drive
> very
> slightly, in terms of table placement and arranging and organizing so
> that
> an extensive dayboard type of thing might be very doable.
I think we should concentrate on a good, reasonable always there
dayboard than an extensive one. The nest year, to get some expanded
interest, then you can go for extensive. Go all the way the first year,
and then where do you go from there the next? I'd rather see it build
in steps than have the effort stumble and cause some problems or a bad
reputation from running out of promised or rumored food.
> In addition to Margali's suggestions, how about a nice pate, with maybe
> truffles? Perhaps a couple of soup/stew types of things- one vegan, the
> other for omnivores? Perhaps a stirfry over enriched rice? To feed
> these
> folks, we don't hafta make vast quantities of stuff, like we normally
> would
> a dayboard,
Correct. See my point above about "extensive".
> but if folks were to donate a pot or a plate of something, like
> we might do for a potluck, there would be lots of different things for
> people to try, spaced throughout the day, with always something hot and
> filling available, along with more snacky types of foods- bread and
> meats
> and sandwich-type makings as Jadwiga suggested.
Yes, this is more of what I had in mind. Not some large monolythic
menu, but folks bringing in a selection of foods throughout the day(s).
With the foods varying throughout the period depending upon who was
bringing what by. Although I think there should be some overall
planning so there should always be something. And some backup foods
that can be quickly prepared for sudden rush crowds or to cover for a
set of foods that don't appear. Perhaps a combination of foods donated
and prepared by individuals or groups and groups providing the money
for the food for others to prepare.
> ...anyone who demurred got a gimlet eye and a
> question- "Do you really want to argue with a cranky old Chirurgeon?"
> For
> some reason, they didn't ;-)
Yes, a "cranky old Chirurgeon". I wonder who that could be? :-)
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com