originals and redactions Re: [Sca-cooks] "All the King's Cooks"

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 28 07:20:46 PDT 2003

> > I recommend it very highly. The original recipes are directly noted as
> > to source and place. If you can read a footnote, you can find the source
> > and then locate the original recipes with only a bit of bother.
>
> A footnote is a good start, but have you looked, and are these
> redactions good ones? I don't think Jaella actually looked, as it's a
> lot of work...

I'm planning to check all the footnotes against the originals in my spare
time. All the ones I knew off the top of my head looked fine, but I want
to check.

It's interesting to think about this... obviously a combination of
originals and good redactions would be the best sort of source... but we
often recommend books that have the originals even if the redactions are
bad. Is this a good practice? Certainly, it does help people's critical
reading skills.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
   - Henry Kissinger