[Sca-cooks] originals and redactions, was "All the King's Cooks"

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Aug 29 10:16:34 PDT 2003

>     Apparently your definition of redaction is bigger than mine.  For I
> have always understood the word to mean a process of determining modern
> measurements for ingredients, and I really do not do this, written or
> otherwise.  If the receipt is not specific, I simply add until it
> seems right at the time, as I suspect the period cooks did.

To me, a redaction is an account of what you did, including about how much
of whatever you put in and where.

>     This is a sore spot for me, which is the only reason I have delurked
> here.  I have been marked down in competitions for not including my
> redactions.

Yup. and if I was judging your work, I'd still mark you down. If I don't
know what you did in detail, how can I know whether you reasonably
followed the recipe? The same is true of any other, non-cooking
competition entry-- people write down what they did in recreating the
piece. If you don't want to write down the process you followed, then you
will get marked down on your documentation.

There is, after all, no requirement to enter competitions, so if you are
unwilling to write down the process that you followed and the
quantities you used when making that particular because for some
reason you feel it is inapproporiate to give that information, just don't
enter competitions!

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I'm sorry, the antichrist you have dialed is no longer in service.
Please check your list of enemies and dial again."