[Sca-cooks] originals and redactions, was "All the King's Cooks"

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 29 18:54:39 PDT 2003

In regards to an author's redactions without the original receipt, yes it is
possible to locate the original using the footnotes etc.  But who has the
time?  I'll take an original over a redaction anytime, no matter how
competent the redactor is.

In regards to judging documentation/redactions, why does the entrant need to
include his/her process?  Isn't the receipt itself the process?  Yes, if
information is lacking or you do something differently than in the original,
the process is important.  For example, Viandier de Taillevent's chicken
cumin dish:  cook it in wine and water, quarter it, and fry it in lard.
Temper your broth with a bit of wine, sieve, and boil with your meat.  Add
just a bit of ginger and cumin steeped in verjuice and wime.  Take plenty of
egg yolks, beat them well, and thread them into your pottage at the back of
the fire. Make sure that it does not curdle.       You would want to list
quantities, but the process seems straightforward enough.

By your logic, of including the process, an embroidery entry would be
something like "This is a copy of the blackwork pattern seen in so-and-so's
portrait.  I used 32 count linen and black silk thread.  First I put the
needle into the fabric at the middle of the fabric, and brought it up two
squares over.  Then I put it back through two squares to the left. (And so
on, ad nauseum.)"  I would hope that competition cooking judges have enough
basic cooking skills to verify that steps were followed without demanding
written confirmation.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!