[Sca-cooks] hypotrimma (was originals and redactions)

A phoenissa at netscape.net
Sat Aug 30 12:36:17 PDT 2003

The Liddell and Scott Greek Lexicon defines it as "a dish compounded of
various ingredients pounded up together" and gives the Latin equivalent,
"moretum."  The Romans loved to use Greek names to make foods sound
fancier, just as English-speaking people sometimes do with French.  The
"hypo-" prefix doesn't always mean "under," but can mean modify the word
to mean "just slightly" or "a little" - as here, combined with the noun
"trimma," which means "something that's been rubbed or beaten"
(apparently from some form of "tremo," which means "tremble or shake").
Hope that more-or-less answers the first question...

As for exactly what this hypotrimma stuff is, my guess is that it would
be a paste or a spread - the dates and cheese would probably give the
most substance to it.  It is possible, I guess, to beat the ingredients
into something thin enough to be called a sauce, especially if you're
stingy with dates and cheese and use more of the liquid ingredients; but
I'm willing to put my trust in the lexicon (usually quite accurate about
whether something is sweet, savory, main dish, sauce, etc), which calls
it a "dish."  That suggests to me that it's served on its own, maybe
eaten on bread; or else, perhaps, to accompany something like roasted
meat, but not covering it like a sauce (if that makes sense).

Let me dig through some of my books and see if I come across any
clues....hope the etymology stuff is helpful, at any rate. :)

Vittoria
(who used to be on this list a year or two ago, and has returned, after
a move from the West Kingdom to the East...)