[Sca-cooks] hypotrimma (was originals and redactions)

A phoenissa at netscape.net
Sat Aug 30 13:20:16 PDT 2003

Yeah, possibly.  Or even more independent than a relish - like hummus or
something, which usualy is just a dip, but is also served (in my family
at least) to accompany grilled meats, and also as become a popular
sandwich spread.

Oh, and I did dig up a little more info on the word "hypotrimma"...it
only shows up once in the whole Greek literary cannon (go figure), in
line 290 of Aristophanes'  play "Ecclesiazusae."  I'm not going to
transcribe the Greek here, unless anyone really wants to see it, but
here's my translation of it:
"Chorus:  For the lawgiver has promised that he won't give the
three-obol coin to anyone who arrives terribly early in the dawn,
covered with dust, content with having eaten only garlic-and-brine sauce
[skorodalme] and looking like hypotrimma."

Obviously, it wasn't a terribly pretty dish...but it doesn't tell us
much else about how they ate it. :(

Vittoria