[Sca-cooks] Serving salads

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 4 16:11:03 PST 2003

In Anne-Marie's recent list of period/period-like food items which could be picked up from the grocery store, she mentioned:
"--green salad from a salad bar or in a bag, with a vineagrette dressing on the side" and that made me wonder just how salads were served in period.

The meat was often sliced at the table by the server, not generaly by the guest or previously by the kitchen. So, I'm wondering if the same applies to salads. Again, I can see three possiblities:
1) topped? tossed? in the kitchen with the dressing
2) topped at the table by the server
3) topped at the table by the guest.

Do we know from feast or possibly salad descriptions how it was done? This may be in the salad-msg file in the Florilegium, but I haven't looked.

Stefan
PS: Even if it is not what the original poster was asking for, I think lists of readily procurable food items from the grocery are still useful for both newcomers and even more experienced cooks who find themselves in a rush. (Me? never...yeah right). I have a small file in the Florilegium on easily cooked items but I think I will create another one on prepared foods using Anne-Maire's list or a combination with the others given here. Or if someone wants to write me a stand-alone article... Yes, such lists are available elsewhere, but if having these in multiple places to help eliminate the overly mundane foods at pot lucks and such, I'm willing to help out.