[Sca-cooks] medieval words for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 22:31:29 PST 2003

Bear replied to Solveig Throndardottir with:
> I'm thinking of the Medieval two meals a day, but I'm applying the
> modern three meals a day words.  Bad form I admit.
Hmmm. But like you, I didn't have any better words to use.
So, what were the usual names for the daily meals in the Middle Ages?
Preferably the English ones, although the others may be useful,
especially if those cultures had a different concept of a particular
meal.
> I am also thinking in terms of the great households and the nobility
> (primarily English) where there is evidence of food being consumed upon
> rising although it was not considered a meal.
I was having problems with this as well. The great households might
differ in this point from those lower on the economic rungs or in a
different culture, urban vs. rural etc.
> I know about German breakfsts, but the niggling thought pops into my
> head, "traditional" from when?
Again, this was worrying me also. But it does seem like a big jump from
little or none to these especially if only in the few centuries
following 1600. If it is a progression than the evidence of this should
be in the records within our period of study, if they exist and are
consistant enough. Maybe there was a lot of "The Church rails against
this, but I'm hungry so I'm going to do it anyway.". Maybe the place to
look for this stuff is in diaries rather than public writings.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com