[Sca-cooks] Re: The Food of Portugal & Egg & Sugar Sweets

Liz Courts lizcourts at bendcable.com
Thu Dec 11 01:08:25 PST 2003

There are several in the book, including Toucinho do Ceu ("bacon from
heaven", an egg-and-almond sweet), Sopa Dourada ("Soup of Gold", kind of
like a bread pudding), Pao-de-Lo (a sponge cake), Bolo Podre ("Putrid
cake" - podre can also mean depraved or corrupt - referring to the
intense sweetness of this particular dish), Ovos moles (sweet soft eggs,
used as a filling, icing, and other things).

As far as how old the dishes are, I'm not certain. I know that the
toucinho do ceu (along with several other egg yolk-sugar confections)
was made by convent nuns, who apparently were making it or got the idea
for it from the Moors - there's a brief discussion of it in the glossary
section of the book.

Apparently the Portuguese have an insane sweet tooth - reading some of
these recipes make my teeth hurt!

Another good Portuguese recipe is Caldo Verde ("green soup") that's made
with kale (leading to the very green...VERY green color of the dish),
onions, and chorizo (chourico, I think, is the Portuguese spelling for
this spicy sausage).

All the Portuguese cookbooks I've ran across (and I haven't run across
many) don't give dates or anything (and the local library is noticeably
deficient in the Historical Foods/Food History category). Does anyone
else have any resources or books on that particular region that's
in-period? (Although it is conceivable that the Portuguese, depending on
what century you were looking at, would have access to more New World
type stuff, due to that country's expansionist policies during later
Period.)

Ignia il Nomade