[Sca-cooks] kitchen mixers

Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 08:01:59 PST 2003

I am a long-term Kitchenaid user..My mom bought one when I was little
(6) and started a cake-decorating business.  Mom gave me hers when I
remarried.  I used it for my own cake-decorating business.  It finally
died after 26 years of use when my step-daughter dropped it head-down
and cracked the casing.  Until then, it was making pasta and bread dough
regulary, and grinding meat and such.  I bought a 5 quart (I think the
little ones with the flip-up heads are not nearly worth the money) and
used it both in my kitchen (and I make *everything* from scratch) as
well as in my business (soap and body care).  I finally killed it making
8 pound batches of bath salts...when I tried to crank the bowl up, I
stripped the mechanism.  The motor, however, still works fine.  I now
use it exclusively for business and just manually prop the bowl up while
stuff mixes.  So, I bought a 6-quart kitchenaid for the kitchen *only*
<g>.  I think that the grinder/shredder attachements are well worth the
money, as well as the pasta plate attachments (they attach to the meat
grinder and extrude pasta dough in shapes).  The wheat grinder is not
worth the money, IMO.  Too small, overheats too fast.  I spent a little
more and got a K-tec grain mill off e-Bay instead.  The
grinder/shredders are nicer compared to the ones on a food-processor
because you can put a canning kettle underneath the output and
grind/shred a lot, as opposed to having to stop and empty the Cuisinart
bowl after tiny batches.  I use it extensively when cooking feasts.  I
don't own a hand mixer.  I do use a stick blender occasionally.  Bed,
Bath & Beyond carries the 6 quart mixer, and periodically mails out 20%
off coupons good for anything in the store.  I haven't found it cheaper
anywhere.  I just wish it came in lavender like the 5 quart does now
<LOL!>.  Hope this helps...

Halima