[Sca-cooks] Nicole Crossley-Holland

Mary Morman mem at rialto.org
Fri Dec 19 04:39:37 PST 2003

I don't know about "mixed opinions" as Johnna says, I'd say that Nicole
Crossley-Holland's Living and Dining in Medieval Paris is just downright
AWFUL.  The woman's scholarship on her search for the "real" identity of
Le Menagier is so garbled that I refuse to have anything to do with any
other research or opinions she presents.  She has an idee fixee about Le
Menagier and goes through all sorts of peregrinations of backwards logic
to prove that what she wants to be true is indeed true.  Bad book.
 Don't go near it.

Elaina