[Sca-cooks] New toy!

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 07:14:01 PST 2003

Hi all, and happy holidays.
Over the weekend I went to the big oriental market and they had a special
guest vendor there from Korea, just for the weekend.  As I walked by and
looked over their display items I noticed a flatish ceramic dish looking
thing, higher in the center, and slightly sloping down.   It is scored in a
pattern which is attractive yet set in such a way so as to act as an
irrigation type system leading to a slightly raised lip and a small hole in
the valley of that dip.  The platter was sitting on top of a butaine burner
such as I use and under the hole was a little bowl sitting next to the
stove.  I was very curious and asked what it was.  It was explained to me
that it was a cooking surface and he pointed out a small piece of meat
sitting on the platter and told me how the grooves helped allow the fats and
liquids from the frying meats to drain away and down the small hole into the
little bowl.  Well, it *had* to be mine!  I have used it each day since I
got it and I love it.  It works as good or better than my cast iron
skillets.  Now that the merchants are back in Korea I wonder how I can ever
get another one!  I don't even know what it is called.  Anyone know??

THLady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds
House Blackstar
Bright Hills Cooks Guild