[Sca-cooks] Re: plums in plum pudding

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 19:38:49 PST 2003

        I think, in this case, that the word 'plum' refers to a choice morsel
or delicacy, not to the dried fruit.  Think of 'it's a plum job' or Little
Jack Horner, who pulled out the plum from the Christmas pie.  (I do hear tell
that this went back to the custom of hiding a deed to a manor or some other
nifty gift inside the pie that you sent to whomever you were sucking up...er...
and that this guy stole the deed out of the pie before he delivered it.
Howsomeever, rationalizing nursey rhymes can cause serious brain injury.)
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com