[Sca-cooks] dry cured ham

Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 18:54:14 PST 2003

It wasn't a Smithfield that I got from Sam's, but some other brand whose
name eludes me at the moment.

Yes, my sister starts with her own pigs.  Each year they get two weaner
pigs and run them in the pasture with the other animals.  Start feeding
them corn in the fall and butcher when weather is cold enough.  Some of
the funniest family stories are centered around butchering and my
95-pound sister wrasslin' a 100 pound hog-half onto the hanging hook.
 It went down and she went up into the tree.  After we could stand
normally again from laughing so hard, we got her down...<eg>.

Also, re: planning ahead and a whole ham being too big, I go ahead and
cook the whole thing, and then cut into slices, cubes, etc. and freeze
in meal-size portions.  It's also a good time to roast the meaty bone
nice and dark and make some split-pea soup for canning.