[Sca-cooks] quail eggs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 00:17:28 PST 2003

  Caointiarn commented:
> >> We had a nice ham {hickory smoked, no water adulteration} ...<<
> > Do you know where you got this? The only non-water added hams I've
> seen
> have ben the ones talked about on this list. But I can't remember the
> brand right now. I don't think those were hickory smoked. Another
> source would be nice.<
>
>      This one came from COSTCO.
Ah. Okay. I didn't think of there. They have been mentioned here
before, but the only one in town was on the opposite side of town from
me, so I've never explored one. Now that I am now living on the
opposite side of town, perhaps I will. But I'm not sure they will have
enough different items from Sam's to make paying *two* annual fees
worthwhile.
> It was a food product from Canada, which is probably why there wsn't
> any water added.
Why, what does having it come from Canada affect whether it has water
added or not?
> A hint for finding good smoked meats is to find a local butcher shop.
That might be a good thing to find. There was one near my old house,
which I never explored, but it got demolished for the highway
expansion. Time to check the yellow pages. This isn't Montana(?), so
there probably aren't any smoked wild meats available. Local venison
being illegal to sell. :-(  The only place I get to eat venison is SCA
feasts.
> >> and a can of Quail eggs to play with.<<    > Please let us know how
> >> you use these.<
>
>      Okay.  I'm gonna leaf through the Medival cookbooks & find a use
> for
> them.  Maybe make a dish to prsent to head table at a future feast.
 From comments here previously, the taste will be about the same as for
hardboiled, pickled hen's eggs. Your best use may be one of enhancing
the appearance of a dish. Perhaps quail egg slices on top of something.
You can find some comments on quail eggs in this Florilegium file, but
no period recipes that are specifically for quail eggs.
eggs-msg         (140K) 12/25/02    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-msg.html

People have used these as Scotch Eggs and stuffed eggs, I believe.

> > The temperature is supposed to be in the  70s tomorrow. :-)  <
>      And here there are roads {read FREEWAYS & Highways} closed because
> of the winter storm.
>    At least WE don't have Tornadoes.
Not many tornadoes this far south. Most of those are in northern Texas.
And despite Adamantius' idea of the area, it isn't usually very humid
here in central Texas. Not as dry as Phoenix, but certainly drier than
Houston. :-)

We're supposed to have a cold front blow through tonight. So tomorrow
is supposed to be in the fifties.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas