[Sca-cooks] Dried Beans that WON'T COOK!!!

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 12:33:54 PST 2003

Ok, I started a pot of black-eyed peas yesterday.  I started with dried peas
that have admittedly been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.  I did
a quick boil, turned the heat off and let them sit and soak for a couple of
hours.   Drained that water off and started with fresh, then applied
not-quite boiling temperatures to it for several hours.  Added a ham bone.
Cooked for several more hours.  Then more.  Then I went to bed.  Then I got
up, still had crunchy beans, added more water, went out shopping.  Came
back, still have crunchy beans.  These things have been on the heat for 24
hours now (in addition to the pre-boil and soak), and are yet to show any
signs of getting past the crunchy stage.
Now, I've had this happen before with old dried black beans, but never with
any other kind of bean.  I figure after a while even the driest bean will
cook, no?  NO!!
Is there anything I can do to save this pot-o-beans, or should I give up,
throw it out, and use the frozen ones I just bought?
Christianna