[Sca-cooks] French bread, was Cheese, warm or cold

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Dec 3 07:44:11 PST 2003

> >lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> >>  half day old French bread (in France) is no longer edible, but
> >>  you could probably bash someone over the head with it.
> >
> >Only for certain values of the term "French bread."  Lionel Poilane (Lord
> >High God himself) claimed his breads were best on the third day after
> >baking, IIRC, and are quite moist and tasty a week after baking.  Any bread
> >made with a slow ferment and without commercial yeast will generally do
> >just fine for several days if kept in a dry environment.

Really? That's interesting. Does Lionel do a simple
flour/leaven/salt/water dough, or does he add any oils/fats? I'm not the
best bread baker in the world, but when I do a bread with little or no
fats, it tends to get hard quickly, whereas breads with fats stay soft
longer.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_