[Sca-cooks] Expert on trenchers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 4 04:51:51 PST 2003

>said Bear:
>
>"I don't think I'm an expert on trenchers, but I wish them luck on finding
>someone who is.  The paper I started for CookCon2 was supposed to be a
>summary of available information.  It became a research paper in progress
>when I found no research specific to the history of trenchers.  I'm still
>looking for sources to flesh out or refute what I wrote."
>

>Is this material available anywhere? The cook con 2 proceeding? The
trencher
>material? I really would love to see at list your list of sources...for soe
>reasearch on table settings that I am doing...
>
>Caitlin of Enniskillen

The paper is in the Proceedings.  I believe copies are still available from
Mary Morman at Serve It Forth!

I am appending the bibliography as it appeared in the paper.  I need to add
a few more volumes, primarily of Medieval illuminations and art, to the
list, but haven't done so yet.

Bear

_____________, The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, Oxford
University Press, 1971.

Chambers, R.W. and Seton, Walter W., "A Generall Rule to teche euery man
that is willynge for to lerne, to serve a lorde or mayster in euery thyng to
his plesure," Fifteenth century courtesy book ... and Two fifteenth century
franciscan rules; Early English Text Society, 1914; excerpted at
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/c/cme/cme-idx?type=HTML&rgn=TEI.2&byte=11992541

Cosman, Madeleine Pelner, Fabulous Feasts; Medieval Cookery and Ceremony;
George Braziller, New York, 1976.

David, Elizabeth, English Bread and Yeast Cookery; Viking, New York, 1980.

Dembinska, Maria, trans. Thomas, Magdalena, ed. Weaver, William Woys, Food
and Drink in Medieval Poland; Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past;
University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999.

de Worde, Wynkyn, The Boke of Kervynge; 1508, transcribed at
http://milkmama.tripod.com/kervynge2.html

Dupaigne, Bernard, The History of Bread; Harry N. Abrams, New York, 1999.

Glants, Musya and Toomre, Joyce, Food in Russian History and Culture;
Indiana University Press, 1997.

Halsall, Paul, ed., Medieval Sourcebook: The Assizes of Bread, Beer and the
Lucrum Pistoris;
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/breadbeer.html , 1998.

Hinson, Janet, trans., Le Menagier de Paris;
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.
html

Mennell, Stephen, All Manners of Food, Basil Blackwell, New York, 1985.

Pichon, Jerome, ed., Le Menagier de Paris; La Societe des Bibliophiles
Francois, Paris, 1846; excerpted,
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/

Pouncy, Carolyn Johnston, ed. and trans., The Domostroi: Rules for Russian
Households in the Time of
Ivan the Terrible; Cornell University Press, 1994.

Redon, Odile, Sabban, Francoise, and Serventi, Silvano, Schneider, Edward,
trans., The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy; University of
Chicago Press, 1998.

Tannahill, Reay, Food In History, Stein and Day, New York, 1973.

Toussaint-Samat, Maguelonne, Bell, Anthea, trans., History of Food; Barnes
and Noble, New York, 1998.

Woolgar, C.M., The Great Household in Late Medieval England; Yale University
Press, 1999.