[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 18:56:15 PST 2003

On 4 Dec 2003, at 17:54, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> > Oddly enough, I recently came across a period German recipe that one might
> > call almond jello.  It's a gelatin dish made with almond milk and isinglass,

> Can you get Isinglass anymore, or do I have to go catch the right kind of
> fish for their bladders?  <double icky!>

First, let me reassure you that a fish's swimbladder contains air, and not...
icky things.  It helps the fish float.  I think that isinglass can still be obtained.
 It's used in brewing and vintning to clarify liquids.  If you want to catch your
own, I believe you want sturgeon.

I would be inclined to use gelatin.  Chemically, it's pretty much the same
thing, only it's derived from mammals instead of fish.  There are period
recipes that use animal gelatin for thickening, though they did it by boiling
bones and hooves and such.

> Selene Colfox

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net