[Sca-cooks] Serving salads

KristiWhyKelly at aol.com KristiWhyKelly at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 06:49:37 PST 2003

If I may add to this discussion.  _The Good housewife's Jewel_ by Dawson has
a few salad recipes and they all call for the dressing to be directly applied
to the salad by the cook.  Both Robert May calls for it as well.

I saw a display at the Folger Shakespeare Library of an Elizabethan salad
that was quite an elaborate display, a geometric design of greens as the base
then layers of other stuff, olives, lemons....

Hope this helps.

Grace

In a message dated 12/4/2003 11:22:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
edouard at medievalcookery.com writes:

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 07:11  PM, Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:

> In Anne-Marie's recent list of period/period-like food items which
> could be picked up from the grocery store, she mentioned:
> "--green salad from a salad bar or in a bag, with a vineagrette
> dressing on the side" and that made me wonder just how salads were
> served in period.
>
> The meat was often sliced at the table by the server, not generaly by
> the guest or previously by the kitchen. So, I'm wondering if the same
> applies to salads. Again, I can see three possiblities:
> 1) topped? tossed? in the kitchen with the dressing
> 2) topped at the table by the server
> 3) topped at the table by the guest.
>
> Do we know from feast or possibly salad descriptions how it was done?
> This may be in the salad-msg file in the Florilegium, but I haven't
> looked.

A couple of references I've come across suggest that salads were
prepared in the kitchen and served already dressed.

In "Fast and Feast", Bridget Ann Henisch quotes Cotsgrave's
"Dictionarie" (1611) under "salade":  "a Sallet without wine is raw,
unwholesome, dangerous."

I'm still looking for another one that I came across quite a while back
which quoted someone complaining about the salads made by the English
(I think).  The gist of the complaint was that they didn't properly
wash all the dirt from the greens, didn't dry them off well enough
which left them soggy, and then they drowned the greens in way too much
vinegar.  If I can locate this one then I'll post it - for some reason
I keep thinking it was in a book by Peter Brears.

- Doc