[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 07:03:11 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----
If you're using any kind of gelatin make sure that it's specified on your
ingredient list! My husband is allergic to dairy products and beef, and
regular gelatin causes an allergic reaction. We haven't tried isenglass ...
but I expect that isenglass would cause a reaction in folks with bony-fish
allergies.

Cynara

Of course.  In addition, vegetarians and observant Jews and Muslims would want to avoid it.

I make it a policy to list all ingredients when I cook.  As far as I know, only one person has ever had an allergic reaction to something I cooked.   The offending ingredient was listed on the menu which was posted near the dayboard.  I don't know if she didn't check, or just decided to risk it.  Fortunately, the reaction was a mild one, and was treated on site with some medication.

Brighid ni Chiarain