[Sca-cooks] gourmet sea salt

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 17:23:02 PST 2003

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur wrote:
> Cook's Illuistrated did a tasting of salts in Sept 2002. They
> concluded that  sea salts are best saved for use at the table, where the
delicate
> nuances of  flavor variation and, in particular, their special crunch can
best be
> savored. They found that the largest crystals won the most points when
> sprinkled on a steak - Maldon Sea Salt won that round of tests. In
> cooking, they found little or no variation in flavor when used in a liquid
> cooking  medium.

I remember hearing this advice some time ago and hadn't encountered a
counter-example until just this last Saturday.  My lady wife's company
holiday party included dinner at the local Four Seasons, and they used sea
salt (among other herbs and spices, but sea salt was the dominant presence)
to coat my roast rack of lamb.  The taste and texture were phenomenal, so
some experimentation with sea salt and dry cooking methods may indeed be
worthwhile...

-Lorenz