[Sca-cooks] name..was washing birds

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 17:48:36 PST 2003

Olwen wrote:
>Ok, with "baited" breath *I* shall wait till someone can please explain to a
>poor 9th century Welsh woman why you, Anahita, are calling Sayyida Halima
>al-Shafi'i simply Halima.  Since we are trying hard right now not to
>"assume" stuff, I simply stand firm in the dark till this is explained.

"Sayyida" is the Arabic equivalent of SCA "Lady", as in "got an AoA",
and is the feminine form of the Arabic "Sayyid" which is the SCA
equivalent of "Lord". "Sayyida" is part of my name, too (well,
actually al-Sayyida, pronounced in Arabic as "ahss-sah-yee-duh") It
is an officially recognized SCA title, and cannot be used by folks
who don't have their AoA.

Halima is an Arabic woman's name. I have a friend in my Kingdom named
Halima, too.

Since no one around here is addressing me formally, and i don't
address anyone here formally, i am addressing Halima as i would any
other friend or acquaintance.

Yours in Food Service,
but making no assumptions,
I remain,

al-Sayyida Anahita al-Qurtubiyya amina al-makhtaba bint 'abd al-Karim
al-hakim a-Fassi
AoA, Corolla Aulica, Corolla Vitae, Order of the Rose Leaf, Order of
the Western Lily

but known to friends, as you all are, as Anahita