[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Dec 8 15:11:04 PST 2003

>I would suggest things like sops, filled rolls made with bread dough, raw
>fruits and veggies (I think we've finally convinced you traditionalists
>that people DID eat these raw sometimes),

>-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
>yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_

The first time I read this, I thought you were filling the rolls with
the raw fruits and veggies and was puzzled as to how you kept them
raw while baking the bread dough around them. I gather the filled
rolls are actually a separate item from the raw fruits and veggies.

What are they filled with? Barmakiya is meat and stuff between two
layers of bread/pastry like stuff, and Sanbusak is a fried dough
filled with stuffing, but off hand I can't think of period recipes I
would describe as "filled rolls." Examples?
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/