[Sca-cooks] process approach to food history

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:42:53 PST 2003

>Do you mean that we can take a food or recipe and follow it through
>history?
>I have been researching recipes over and through the centuries  for a
>number of countless years at this point. What it takes is a comprehensive
>library of sources
>more than anything else. Once one has the books it's a questions of
>choosing
>volumes to pull off the shelves and look at.
>See my article in icing as an example. of what it is that I do.
>http://home.earthlink.net/~mkcooks/SUGARICING.htm
>or
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugar-Icing-art.rtf.
>
>Or did you mean something else?
>Johnnae llyn Lewis
>
>My French Toast entry/article (in the Florilegium now) is the same way, a
>retrospective of recipes over several centuries.  Lady Temair did an entry
>on Blancmange this past weekend that was similar, I think she told me she
>had over 27 sources and 50 recipes!  Lady Caitlin of Enniskillen also did
>an
>entry of All Things Almond, but I don't know if it had the historical
>timeline aspect to it.  I hear it was fabulous, though!
>I think it is a valuable teaching technique, especially if you can show the
>modern equivalent and make it relevant to the students.
>Christianna

Well, since my name was mentioned, I suppose I should chime in with what I
did for the booklet (which I have actually mentioned here and even mailed a
few copies off ~ with no replys from any of the recipents).  It was a spur
of the 13th hour thing really for a demo.  I basically had one recipe from a
period source, with source and year of a period recipe on the left hand page
and on the facing page tracked down a very similar modern recipe, with
source and year if available.  Sort of an at-a-glance type comparison in an
effort to show how similar some period cooking was to now.  I actually still
have some copies of it around and still hand them out.
Olwen