[Sca-cooks] Holiday Sweets

Naquiba Katira al-Maghrebiyya cynaguanswan at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 15:08:33 PST 2003

I just took this to a feast.  I first made it back in
1997 for my first try at a cooking competition (Mists
Silver Spoon).  The catetory was "snack foods" and was
tasted with the brewing competition.  I looked for a
salty snack type of recipe but found this and it
really was fine with beer (I did a taste test).  I
find that using old bread to make the crumbs (not bone
dry) and the moist kind of dates (forget the name), I
get a mixture that holds together well and is more
like a sweet than a travel food (Cariadoc's version is
so dry it is almost impossible to shape according to a
helper at a feast he was doing, though it was still
quite tasty).  I also tried the sesame oil in my first
version and felt it overpowered all the other flavors.
 I also found it was quite an oily mixture. Ugh.  The
butter is perfect for my taste.

Here is my version:
2 cups bread crumbs (not bone dry)
1 lb of moist pitted dates
1/3 C almonds, then ground
1/3 C pistachios, then ground
5 T melted butter
superfine sugar (I find this is better than regular
sugar)

I grind the nuts and bread then grind the dates in
batches with some of the nut/crumb mixture then mix it
all with the butter.

The ground nuts measure out to a little more than 1/3
C after grinding.

I shape them into 'date' shapes and get between 50 and
50 from one recipe.

FYI, I won the Silver Spoon.  My entry was presented
on an ornate tray (very Alhambra) with whole almonds
and pistachios.

Katira al-Maghrebiyya
West Kingdom

--- "Pat \"Mordonna\" Griffin" <mordonna22 at yahoo.com>