[Sca-cooks] 12th century food... england and france

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 9 23:15:48 PST 2003

However, if I remember comments about this manuscript correctly, the
recipes in this collection are from southern Europe, not England or
France, although perhaps from Province?, southwestern France on the
Mediterranean.
I believe this file talks about this manuscript:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                        cookbook in the Western world.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Harpstrang-cb-msg.html

Stefan

> descriptions are fine... i tend to be an instictual cook. ;)
> cailte
>
> --On Tuesday, December 09, 2003 1:20 PM -0500 Johnna Holloway
> <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > Descriptions yes---
> > Actual recipes --- no.
> > That's about a century too early for the surviving French or English
> > manuscripts we have. The early 13th is covered by:LIBELLUS DE ARTE
> > COQUINARIA
> >
> > An Early Northern Cookery Book by Grewe and Hieatt.
> >
> > The LIBELLUS is among the oldest of culinary recipe
> > Collections & dates from the early thirteenth century.
> > It survives in 4 versions: Danish, Icelandic, & Low German.
> > It is thought to date back to the 12th century.
> > It ís a small collection of only 35 recipes.
> > Society members have known it for many years as the
> > Collection published AN OLD ICELANDIC MEDICAL
> > MISCELLANY [Ms. Royal Irish Academy 23D 43.]in
> > 1931 by Henning Larsen.
> >
> > Johnnae llyn Lewis

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas