[Sca-cooks] medieval words for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed Dec 10 15:30:41 PST 2003

For what it is worth IIRC there is a tale entitled "Eel Pies" on pages 39
through 42 in "Les Cent Nouvelles Nouvelles"  (The Hundred Tales), a 14th
French source,  which makes reference to "breakfast" "lunch" and "dinner".
To boil the plot down a married knight is trying to get one of his squires
to be his "go-between" is a dalliance he is trying to promote with a lady.
The squire, citing honor, virtue and the noble qualities of the knight's
wife, declines.  The knight asks the squire what his favorite dish is and
then proceeds to have him fed it morning, noon, and night.  After a couple
of days of this the squire respectfully complains.  The knight replies "but
it is your favorite dish."   The squire response "but not morning, noon, and
night day after day."  To which the knight replies "tis the same with me."

As I do not read French and, in any case, do not have access to the original
I cannot pass on the accuracy of the translation.

The Hundred Tales (Les Cent Nouvelles Nouvelles).  Translated by Russell
Hope Robbins Bonanza Books, N.Y. N.Y. 1960

Daniel