Beef Stoganoff- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Recipe request- ot?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 11 08:42:51 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Push to side of pan, add onion cut in fans (halved lengthwise, then
> each half sliced vertically down parallel to the core). Saute, again,
> until just lightly browned. Push to side and add mushrooms,

Ah, thanks, Adamantius- I knew I was forgetting something. Been so used to
not thinking of mushrooms because of Margali's allergy, that I've been
automaticly deleting them from my cooking ;-)

and saute
> those. Garlic is a good addition but I don't recall its presence in
> the proto-dish.

May not be there- was in the recipe I found that I liked so well.

Deglaze pan with a dry red wine and simmer quickly
> until it thickens just slightly, and remove pan from heat while you
> add sour cream. Return to flame to reheat through.

Now, this is where what I found differs- it was moreof a stew thickened
w/sour cream, blending the distinct flavers so each enhanced the others-
this looks like it would be more akin to the tasty morsels in a good stir
fry. I'll hafta try it this way some time.

> Noodles or rice
> are good accompaniments but I believe buckwheat kasha is the classic.

Think I'll try that, too, if I can find any- thanks, A ;-)

Hey, Margali, shall I try a Stoganoff sometime soon? We can still delete the
mushrooms ;-)

> And once again, I have to wonder about the people in Pennsylvania and
> elsewhere, who serve an approximation of this dish as a stew. Not
> that it's a terrible idea or anything, just kind of odd, to me. It's
> not quite as radical a shift as some of the dishes that get called
> "goulash" in the US, but there seems to be not only a shift in
> concept, but also in ethnicity, if indeed the epicenter of this
> phenomenon is Pennsylvania.

Well, I suspect it has a lot to do with the Mennonite/Germanic influence.
Currently, they stew everything, siomply because stewing is a good technique
for using up home-canned meats. I got pretty tired of "Amish cooking" over
in Ohio- it tends to be over-cooked- but I'd KILL for some of their pies and
fresh breads and cheeses about now....

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.