[Sca-cooks] horn utensils

dailleurs at liripipe.com dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Dec 11 10:40:04 PST 2003

hey all from Anne-Marie

on horn spoons...
yours last less than a season? where do you live? Horn doesnt like to be too dry, or too wet or too hot. Mine is about three years old and starting to delaminate a bit, but still very usable.

running it through the dishwasher is a big no no, and enthuasiastic helpful types who let it sit in the washtub too long is not good either. Dont let it sit in hot soup too long (or cold soup either), or in super acidic stuff too long. I assume super basic stuff (like bleach, or strong lye soap) would be equally bad.

the stuff is HORN, so its a biological material, and will delaminate pretty easily (it does when its on the cow still too :)) but for some reason I havent had a problem. I figure the stuff wont last forever but it lasts longer than my pewter spoons (which walk away after one or two events. grr!), at a fraction of the cost!'

YMMV, and does, apparently. most odd!
--Anne-Marie, who lives in a place that is always cool and slightly moist. But then I run my woodenware through the dishwasher to sterilize it and it lasts for years that way too. Maybe I just have good dish karma?