[Sca-cooks] process approach to food history - custard

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Fri Dec 12 23:55:31 PST 2003

At 11:20 AM 12/11/03 -0600, Stefan wrote:
>Lol. Now you see some of my problems in sorting foods into particular
>files for the Florilegium and why I often ask questions about "what"
>something is or how you would classify it.
Yup!  Although in this case time was a factor, so I was being exclusionary
rather than inclusive.  I still think a cheesecake or cheese tart is a
_very_ different thing to a custard, though.

>(The Elizabethans innocently mix cream _and_ almonds instead of
>substituting, which I found rather amusing).
>Which recipe are you using to say this? Recently we had a discussion on
>"almond cream" similar to almond milk but thicker.
Well, the two Gervase Markham recipes and the Robert May - all three are
for cream tarts with almonds added, i.e. both cow's milk products and
almonds.  Earlier recipes are for either cream/milk tarts OR almond milk
tarts - there's no real point in both if the point of substituting is for
fast day cooking.  The demonstration that the need for substitution had
fallen away by Elizabethan times interested me.

>almond-cream-msg  (24K) 10/12/03    A sweet custard filling used in sotelties.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/almond-cream-msg.html
interesting, thanks, will have a look!

>We discussed "flans" here recently. I can't remember if any had crusts or
>not, but I think so. I've saved some of those messages for a flan-msg file
>but haven't created it yet. If you would like a copy of those, just let me
>know by email.
I thought I'd saved them, but can't find them. Yes, please, I'd be grateful
if you could mail them to me privately.

>I'd be interested in getting a copy of this for the Florilegium, if you
>are willing. I have several other articles of yours there.
sure, no problem.

thanks for the comments,
JdH

Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.