[Sca-cooks] Christmas Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 13 09:29:35 PST 2003

Interesting, but I question Mesoamerican turkey in England in 1524.  Cortez
was actively engaged in the subjugation of Mexico at that time and didn't
return to Spain until 1528.  Most sources place the introduction of the
North American turkey into Europe in 1528.  The author may be confusing
Numida meleagris with Meleagris gallopavo riograndensis due to the usage of
the common name "turkey."

Other questionable statements.  Winter squash being a latecomer to New
England.  Some varietals are, but various members of Cucurbita maxima are
found in Pre-Columbian New England.   Irish potatoes being introduced in
1845.  Irish potatoes arrived in New Hampshire around 1719.

The paper is a fun read, but I would double check the facts before quoting
them.

Bear