[Sca-cooks] OT OOP: Movies Featuring Food

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 14 10:43:25 PST 2003

Book/movie - "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" - both really good.
My favorite scene is the 5 French Chefs who are all convinced they will be
next because they are obviously the best chef in France.  So true it almost
isn't funny.

"Tampopo"/"Dandelion"/"The Noodle Shop" (all three titles for the same
film).  A must-see for fans of food and cooking, the Seven Samurai movies,
and Japanese culture.  The only funny oriental film I've ever seen.  Best
line "they live deeply, these vagabonds..."

"Eat,Drink,Man,Woman" and "Tortilla Soup".  Both the same movie, the first
with a Chinese family, the second with a Mexican family.  Best scene - the
Mother-in-law learning who the father really wants to marry.

"The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" (I think I have that right).
They make love in and around food and kitchen set-ups throughout the movie.
Most memorable scene - the lovers naked in a refrigerator truck full of
butchered carcasses.  Not a movie for the faint of heart or squeamish of
stomach.

"Romeo and Juliette" - Franco Zefferelli - Not much of a food movie, but the
scene at the Montegue's house during the party shows the 'bar' service of
wine with beautiful glassware on a pyrimid shaped table and other festive
trappings, plus the dancing and costumes.

There is an Italian movie that I can't think of the name of.  The story line
revolves around a man who is a foley artist (sound effects for movie
dubbing), and a prostitute that does odd things for her clients that don't
involve sex.  He eventually turns into an animated character.  Not a food
movie, but one of her clients is a chef that wants to make a dessert of her,
the scene involves her laying on her stomach on a table in the buff while he
pours chocolate over her and proceeds to decorate her like a petit four.
Micheline, when you read this, can you supply the movie's name?

"Like Water for Chocolate".  A wonderful food movie, the cook's emotions get
transferred into the food they prepare (the main character and her nanny).
Most memorable scene (for my lord, anyway), Gertrudis running away from home
buck naked.

"The Big Night" - make or break dinner for Italian brothers (?) trying to
make a go of a restaurant.

Christianna