[Sca-cooks] OT OOP: Movies Featuring Food

Ariane H phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Dec 14 13:33:18 PST 2003

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

>  ...besides Vatel, which we've discussed before, what other food
> oriented films (don't have to period or near period) do folks recommend?

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet, but there was a
French-Georgian film that came out a few years ago called "A Chef in
Love" (if you can't find it under the English title, the French is "Les
mille et une recettes du cuisinier amoureux").  It was an Oscar nominee
for best foreign film the year of its release.   I remember liking it
pretty well, but I only saw it once and that was 5 or 6 years ago.  The
scene I remember best is when the chef is being served some elaborate,
exotic concoction at a restaurant, is challenged to guess all the
ingredients that make it up.

Another great movie (well, two movies, but they're halves of the same
story), which aren't entirely food-related, are the films based on the
autobiographies of Marcel Pagnol, "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's
Castle."  They are rife with gorgeous scenes of life in
turn-of-the-century Provence, and while not gastrocentric, still include
big, steaming bowls of cafe au lait, fresh bread spread thick with
homemade butter and jam, a luscious baba au rhum decked out with cream
and fresh fruits...  Ok, I guess that almost any French film, is going
to have some good food in the background of the story. :)  I think
someone mentioned "Babette's Feast" already - definitely see that if you
haven't yet.  It's got kind of a similar theme to "Chocolat": the
adventures of good eating bring new life to a quiet village.

My ultimate favorite food/film indulgence was a short-lived Bravo
television series called "Arias and Pasta."  In each episode the host
would interview a different opera star (lots of singing included,
naturally), and then they would cook dinner together.  Being a die-hard
opera fan as well as a foodie, watching this show was absolute bliss.

Vittoria