[Sca-cooks] Still OOP, Dog nutrition, was: OOP - Fw: Jasper...

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 15 10:49:49 PST 2003

Christianna, I know that vit. C is in a lot of canine nutritional
supplements.  I was surprised to hear about that one, too, for that
reason.  But the studies on that subject were talking about
super-dosing.   Unfortunately, I don't know what qualifies as a
super-dose without the actual research in front of me.  What I know is
it said that clinical cases come through the ranks from pet owners
giving human vitamins to their pets.  Looking on the net for more
documentation, I'm finding articles talking about benefits from small
doses, but large doses causing diarrhea.  Personally, I've never worried
about the vit. C component in pet vitamins, but have used it as a
reminder never to give human doses of any supplements to pets.

-Magdalena

It alwasy surprises me when diarrhea is cited as a side-effect of Vitamin C
overdosage and that it's a potential problem.  To me (and from many sources
I've read), it is a sign that you've gone over the amount needed, reduce the
amount of Vit. C you're taking until you're regular again and all is well.
I know that the runs can be life-threatening in certain cases, but that
tends to be associated with malnourishment and serious health conditions
that are far bigger concerns than the Vit. C flush.
Ah, well.  It is a shame your resource went the way of the dot coms, it does
sound like a great reference.  Maybe they will re-group and start publishing
again.
Christianna