[Sca-cooks] "Creating Community With Food and Drink in Merovingian Gaul"

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 15 14:24:16 PST 2003

> Creating Community With Food and Drink in Merovingian Gaul
> by Bonnie Effros
> List Price:   $49.95

It appears to be a book of essays. This is the info about it in the oxbow
books site:

"Displaying, consuming and abstaining from food were powerful social
metaphors in the early days of Christianity and were widely open to
manipulation. The clergy in particular used occasions of feasting and
fasting to define relationships between themselves and the laity and
enforce their authority and power over them. These five essays by Bonnie
Efros look for evidence of the use of food and drink in the literary works
of early medieval Gaul, including saints' Lives, canonical legislation,
theological tracts, religious manual and so on. She explores the many
different roles of food, for example in defining gender and authority, as
a source of healing and power, as an important part of commemoration and
celebration in funerary contexts, and as forms of hospitality that could
be granted or denied. 174p, b/w illus (The New Middle Ages, Palgrave
2002)"

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I desire nothing more earnestly than that my work be a stepping-block
which others may mount to glimpse a farther horizon."