[Sca-cooks] "Creating Community With Food and Drink in

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Dec 16 11:01:35 PST 2003

Johnnae gave a bunch of good info about this book and then said:

This work  is extraordinarily academic and if you hate footnotes
just forget it. There's nearly 50 pages of footnotes to wade through.

For most people it's not a practical book, but if you are into
Merovingian history (or doing
a very special early French or Merovingian event) or want
to collect comprehensively on France, then you may want to interlibrary
loan it and read it.
<<<<
Thank you! This is what I was wondering about.

A knowledge of Latin
and French is also helpful as well as a background in early French history.
<<<<
Ohh. That leaves me out.

I can't recommend it at $50 for most culinary scholars. If  the price
drops to $15 in paperback, then it might find a wider audience.
<<<<
Okay, if I see it as a remainder sometime then I will get it. Like the "Book of the Quan"(?), the Mongol food book, it sounds interesting, but not interesting enough at that price. However, I will place the info on the book into the Florilegium and perhaps others will find it of use.

Stefan
(Whose book cataloging is now up to 1005 volumes and doesn't know if he will ever get most of those read, and that is not even near the 10K+? that Johnnae said she had.)