[Sca-cooks] Playing with cottage cheese ;o)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 19 23:37:08 PST 2003

Maire asked:
> Now that I've got your attention (what kinda weird thing is Maire up to
> now???), I'm asking for ideas.
> I came home tonight with a (free) 5 lb. container of cottage cheese.
> I'd like to play (recipes, sillies!).  Does anyone have any ideas?
See this file in the Florilegium:
siege-engines-msg (90K)  6/29/01    Catapults, trebuchets. Period and
modern.

Okay, if you use it *in* something, I will admit it then becomes
edible. If you go to the Florilegium and use the search engine you will
find a number of possibilities. A few include:
...The Norse liked cottage cheese with honey, or salted oatmeal patted
  flat on a fireplace rock to bake....
...Vatrushka: small round open face pie, usually a soup accompianment.
  Usually filled with a cottage cheese-like mixture (tvorog), or egg. ...
... Vatroushki are round and filled with cottage cheese, or sweet
cheese-based mass (cheese,
  flour, egg, sugar/honey, raisins welcome), the filling is not covered
... Samit Spread. 1 lb cottage cheese (NOT fat-free) 1/2 c. softened,
but not melted,
  butter 1/2 c. sour cream garlic and herbs to taste (I used savory and
thyme). ...
As a glue:
...Do you have a cheese glue recipe? Cininni, p. 68 Use the curds from
low-fat cottage cheese, or
  get some skim milk, let it sour, and then use the curds...

A Kugel (pudding) recipe in the fd-Jewish-msg file.

 From beans-msg:

To Make a Tarte of Beans
A Proper Newe Book of Cookery p. 37/C11 (16th c. English)

Take beanes and boyle them tender in fayre water, then take theym oute
and
breake them in a morter and strayne them with the yolckes of foure
egges,
curde made of mylke, then ceason it up with suger and halfe a dysche of
butter and a lytle synamon and bake it.

To make short paest for tarte
  A Proper Newe Book p. 37/C10

Take fyne floure and a curscy of fayre water and a dysche of swete
butter
and a lyttel saffron, and the yolkes of two egges and make it thynne
and as
tender as ye maye.

1/2 lb (1 1/4 c) dry fava beans 1/2 c curds (cottage cheese)    6 T
butter
4 egg yolks     4 T sugar       4 t cinnamon

Crust:
6 threads saffron crushed in 1 t cool water     5-6 T very soft butter
1 c flour       2 egg yolks

Put beans in 2 1/2 c of water, bring to boil and let sit, covered, 70
minutes. Add another cup of water, boil about 50 minutes, until soft.
Drain
beans and mush in food processor. Cool bean paste so it won't cook the
yolks. Mix in yolks; add cottage cheese (do not drain); add sugar,
butter
(soft or in small bits), and cinnamon and mush. Will be a thick liquid.

To make crust, mix saffron water into flour; add egg yolks and mix well
(will be crumbly). Add 4 T butter and mix well; add enough of remaining
butter to make a smooth paste. (Amount used depends upon softness of
butter
and warmth of kitchen.) Roll smooth and place in 9" pie plate. Crimp
edge.
Pour into raw crust and bake at 350ƒ for about 50 minutes (top cracks).
Cool before eating.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook
<<<<<

Stefan