[Sca-cooks] Food in 1632? sorta OP/OT

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 22 06:46:37 PST 2003

Given that the 30 Years War would have been waging then,
your setting needs to decide which side the community would have
been located in--- Catholic or not? Fish days or not?
Where would one get the tomatoes for the chili and spaghetti?
Famine was a nasty and very real part of these years in Germany.
There are a number of books and several doctoral dissertations
done about this period that might provide a better grasp of the history and
its implications on food, diet, famine and war than a list of foods they
might have had. The cookbooks already mentioned are earlier than
this period and reflect medieval/Renaissance eras, and not the period
of Early Modern Germany. The one also was a 1550's manuscript and was never
published until modern times. You might look at  Ken Albala's Food in
Early Modern Europe 2003 to start and then tackle the aspects of the
War as regards food supplies and starvation.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
(please bcc me if you post this to another list.)